When should I enrol my child to go to school?

Your child can start school or kura in New Zealand between age five and six. All children must be enrolled at school by their sixth birthday.

When your child has started at school or kura, they must go to school every day. This is a change from the earlier rule, where regular attendance was required only from age six.

Enrolling early helps the school or kura with their planning. As soon as you've decided on a school or kura get in touch with them to enrol your child, arrange a time for your child to start and arrange some visits to get your child used to school or kura.

Changing schools

If your child is changing school or kura for any reason, you need to let the school know they are leaving and which school they will be going to, and make sure they are enrolled in their new school. This includes moving to a new primary school, kura, intermediate or secondary school.

Once your child is enrolled at a new school, all their personal records will be sent from the previous one.

How do I enrol my child? What paperwork do I need to provide?

You can apply to enrol online. If you have any other questions, please contact the school office. 

Documents for enrolling

Check with the school or kura to see what paperwork they want. They will want things like:

Enrolment Zone

The Springfield School Board of Trustees has received official notification from the Ministry of Education that our proposed enrolment scheme has been approved and will be implemented from January 1st, 2022.  Once an enrolment zone is in place, priority for enrolment and attendance will be given to those students living in the school’s designated home zone.  Our home zone includes all of the Springfield suburb including: Starting from the western end of Dalethorpe Road,

If you live in the home zone, or live out-of-zone and have your child currently attending Springfield School, there is no change to your child’s enrolment status. 

Students from outside our home zone will no longer be able to enrol unless we hold a ballot for places. 

This is a change for our school, but the reason we have implemented a zone is to ensure that our school does not get over-crowded and we can make the best use of our facilities.

Enrolment Zone Maps.pdf



If I live in the school zone, do I still need to fill out an enrolment form? 

Yes. All parents/whānau must fill out an enrolment form, providing necessary documentation, whether they are in-zone or out-of-zone. We will not be able to enrol your child unless we have all of the relevant information. If you need to order a new birth certificate you can go to: https://certificates.services.govt.nz/certificate-order/certificate-events?type=birth-certificate 

When I enrol my child, do I need to prove that my child lives in the home zone? 

Yes. All in-zone enrolments will need to show evidence of residence within the home zone by providing two original documents such as a utility bill (rates, power, gas or phone) or a tenancy agreement. Any attempt to provide false information will lead to the annulment of the enrolment. 

I currently live out-of-zone and my child (or children) attends Springfield School. Can they still stay? 

Yes. Because they were already attending Springfield School, there is no impact on their place at our school. 

I already have a child at Springfield School and we live out-of-zone. If I have a younger child turning 5, do I have to complete an enrolment form for the ballot? 

Yes. You will need to apply as an out-of-zone student. However, you will be classed as a "Priority 2" out-of-zone enrolment as there is another brother or sister at Springfield School.

We live out-of-zone and my child is older than 5. Can we enrol as an out-of-zone student? 

This depends entirely on the spaces we have available in other areas of the school. 

If there is a ballot when will I know if an out-of-zone enrolment is successful? 

You will be notified within three days of the ballot. 

If an out-of-zone enrolment is unsuccessful, is there a waiting list? 

Yes, any children not selected are added to our waiting list and if a space becomes available you will be notified. 

What happens if an out-of-zone enrolment is received after the ballot date? 

Unfortunately, you will have to wait until the next ballot to enrol your child. 

To ensure the integrity of the enrolment process, we will be strictly adhering to the legislation around enrolment zones.